Representing clients from Newcastle and Sydney in taxation matters.
Butlers Business Lawyers represents clients from Newcastle, Hunter and Sydney in taxation matters. We take the stress out of tax matters so that you can focus on your life and running your business without fear of negative taxation repercussions. Our clients include high net worth individuals and small to medium sized enterprises across a range of industries. Tax disputes with the ATO can be very stressful, time consuming and expensive. Compliance can be difficult due to the complexity and frequently changing nature of tax law. Our expert team can advise you on your tax obligations, assist you to minimise taxation, and act for you in disputes with the ATO.
What is an ATO dispute?
The ATO is responsible for investigating and enforcing tax law and may take action against you if they believe you’ve violated tax law. However, you may have the right to dispute or appeal ATO decisions.
How can our expert solicitors help?
We can act for you in a tax dispute to ensure the best financial outcome for you.
- Advise on proper tax treatment for any transaction
- Advise on access to taxation concessions and deductions
- Advise on taxation planning and business structuring to minimise taxation implications
- Review your amended assessments or directions from the ATO
- Advise on opportunities to reduce tax
- Prepare applications for internal review with the ATO
- Appeal ATO decisions to the AAT and Federal Court
- Negotiate payment plans and remission of interest and penalties with the ATO
- Defend criminal tax charges
- Represent you at court in tax litigation
Why should you come to us?
We have a long history of resolving disputes with the ATO and can intervene on your behalf to help negotiate a positive outcome before your ATO dispute escalates. We can independently advise or act in a matter, or work with your accountant, and provide expert legal advice and representation if you’d like to appeal an ATO tax assessment or other unsatisfactory decision.
All tax matters are overseen by our director, Kym Butler, who has more than 40 years’ of tax expertise including a role as a senior tax partner of a big four accounting firm.
Butlers Case Study – Multi-million-dollar sale of veterinary practice
We acted for the vendor in the sale of a local veterinary practice. The practice comprised three sites, with our clients owning two of these premises and leasing the other. Our clients sold the business for a multi-million-dollar sum and stayed on as employed veterinarians to assist with the transition. They leased two of the sites to the purchaser and subleased the other.
Initially, we provided the purchaser with advice on the application of valuation practices and methodologies. As the sale progressed, we provided a detailed analysis of the taxation implications of the contracts and advised on the application of the small business rollover. We arranged leases for the two properties owned by our client, and a sublease for the leased premises. We also negotiated covenants of sale, deeds of restraint and employment contracts.
“Tax Disputes: I’m an executive at a multinational corporation. When I sold most of my employee shares, the ATO charged me thousands in interest. Butlers made a request on my behalf for remission of the interest charges, resulting in a recovery of the full amount. I appreciated how the experienced Butlers team kept me informed at all stages of the process. Great result!”
“One of my accounting clients received an incorrect Australian Tax Office decision which amended business and personal tax returns to include previously undisclosed income. I put the client in touch with the Butlers team as I appreciated the complexity of the matter, and knew they were highly experienced in the area. The matter was settled at a conciliation conference, resulting in a significant reduction of the client’s tax liability, penalties and interest. Fantastic result and handling of a complicated matter.”
- Tax Obligations for Cryptocurrencies – Bitcoin Boom
- Federal Courts finds that Uber Drivers need to Register for GST
- Is Australian Premium Wine Being Taxed Beyond Return?
- How can a Solicitor help to Resolve Tax Disputes?
- 5 Things to Know about Failing to Lodge your Tax Return
- 1 July 2017 Marks Changes to Foreign Resident CGT Withholding Tax Regime: Tax Law Update
- 5 Reasons Why you Need a Tax Lawyer to Manage your Tax Dispute