Will you need to go to court for debt recovery?
Many people avoid making debt recovery claims because they don’t want to go through a court battle. In most matters, our clients are able to protect their cash flow and maximise the amount of money they recover without going to court. Often, we are able to get results with early demands, or we can negotiate a payment plan or settlement.
If the matter does reach litigation, the court can order judgement against the debtor. The judgement may include legal costs and interest. If the debtor does not pay after judgment, a range of procedures may be available to recover the debt, including:
- Seeking a court order to seize the debtor’s property
- Seeking a court order to garnish of the debtor’s wages
- Petitioning the debtor for bankruptcy (for an individual) or winding up proceedings (for a company)
What can Butlers debt recovery solicitors do for you?
We have experience in debt recovery matters for a wide variety of organisations, from employment agencies, to smash repairers, to liquidators. Our debt recovery services include:
- Issuing letters of demand
- Obtaining a judgment against debtors
- Summoning a debtor for oral examination at court to explain their financial position
- Enforcing judgments using instalment orders, garnishee orders, and bankruptcy or corporate insolvency proceedings
- Assisting you with risk management in commercial transactions and contractual agreements
- Representing you in proceedings in the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal, Local Court, District Court and Supreme Court
- Drafting agreements to protect you from debt recovery issues in the future
Our solicitors at Butlers Business Lawyers are the experts in debt recovery in Sydney and Newcastle. We provide the trusted advice you need and act on your behalf to collect the money that’s owed to you to keep your business on track.